I work primarily in philosophy of mind/language and metaphysics. The two questions that occupy most of my time are: (1) What is the nature of conscious experience? (2) What makes it the case that a representation (linguistic, mental, or other) has the meaning that it does?
These topics have led me to investigate the metaphysical status of consciousness, the physicalim-dualism debate, formulating physicalism, fundamentality, grounding, modality, a priori justification, concepts, and understanding.
Some published papers:
- "Grounding Orthodoxy and the Layered Conception", forthcoming in Reality and Its Structure (eds. Ricki Bliss and Graham Priest).
- "Well-Founding Grounding Grounding", The Journal of Philosophical Logic 2015. Co-authored with Brian Rabern (Edinburgh).
- "Conceptual Mastery and the Knowledge Argument", Philosophical Studies, 54: 125-147, 2011.
- "Full-Blooded Reference", Philosophica Mathematica, 15 (3): 357-365, 2007.
- "Physicalism" (book review) Australasian Journal of Philosophy 89 (3): 562-566, 2011.
Some unpublished papers:
- Comments are welcome. Some of these are currently under review.
- "Toward a Theory of Concept Mastery" Abstract
- "The Meta-Semantic Dilemma for Two-Dimensional Semantics" Abstract
- "Existence and the Existential Quantifier" Abstract
- "Against Old Facts Under New Modes" Abstract
- "Fundamentality Physicalism" Abstract